Here to Help this winter

Posted by: lynn - Posted on:

You should ONLY call 999 or go to A&E if you or someone else has a life-threatening emergency, such as:

signs of a heart attack – chest pain, pressure, heaviness, tightness or squeezing across the chest

  • signs of a stroke – face dropping on one side, cannot hold both arms up, difficulty speaking
  • sudden confusion – cannot be sure of own name or age
  • suicide attempt – by taking something or self-harming
  • severe difficulty breathing – not being able to get words out, choking or gasping choking on liquids or solids right now
  • heavy bleeding – spraying, pouring or enough to make a puddle
  • severe injuries – after a serious accident or assault
  • seizure (fit) – shaking or jerking because of a fit, or unconscious (cannot be woken up) sudden, rapid swelling of the lips, mouth, throat or tongue

  • If you need EMERGENCY care, call 999, or go to your nearest A&E.
    British Sign Language (BSL) speakers – can make a BSL video call to 999.
    Deaf people can use 18000 to contact 999 using text relay.
    If in doubt, contact NHS111 to get assessed and directed to the right place for you including emergency care.